BioVantra is an early adopter of digital pathology.
Digital pathology is the process of digitizing glass slides using a whole slide image scanner and then analyzing the digital images using an image viewer, typically on a computer monitor or mobile device. The rapid progress of whole slide imaging (WSI) technology, along with advances in software applications, LIS / LIMS interfacing, and high-speed networking, have made it possible to integrate digital pathology into pathology workflows fully.
Laboratories can utilize high-throughput, automated digital pathology scanners to capture an entire glass slide, under bright field or fluorescent conditions, at a magnification comparable to a microscope. In addition, digital slides can be shared over networks using specialized digital pathology software applications. Pathologists can also apply automated image analysis tools to interpret and quantify biomarker expression within tissue sections.
The LUMEA platform powers BioVantra’s digital pathology program. Lumea is a market leader in digital pathology solutions. With Lumea’s online platform, our pathologists can provide faster and more accurate diagnostic information to improve patient care.
LUMEA — Digital Pathology Workflow
Here’s how it works when a patient arrives in a urologist’s office for a prostate biopsy.
Benefits begin at the point of care
- Tissue collection and management is streamlined
- Tissue fragmentation is minimized
- Tissue orientation and integrity are maintained
- Data are integrated with HER
- RFID technology helps eliminate identification errors throughout the process
- Ancillary test ordering is standardized and simplified
- Economics is improved
Improvements continue in the pathology laboratory
- The AI-assisted gross examination is accurate and 4.6x faster
- Embedding is 5.9x faster
- Microtomy is 3.7x faster
- The workload is reduced by 73%
- Significant cost savings are achieved
Completely integrated digital sign-out is realized
- Gross and histology images can be correlated seamlessly at sign out
- Easy annotation system eliminates the need for dictation
- Automatically quantifies and localizes sites of cancer
- Suspicious foci are detected with AI assistance
- Core biopsy length is increased by 12%
- Paper is eliminated
- Digital sign-out location is flexible, and pathologist saves time
Clinicians enjoy additional benefits from the digital pathology platform
- The clinic receives a digital pathology report
- Novel diagnostic analytics included in reports
- Cancer detection is increased by 9%
- Cases with inadequate tissue for genetic studies are reduced
- Obtain a digital second opinion with the click of a button
- Value-based technology improves patient care and reduces costs
A revolutionary diagnostic ecosystem enhances patient care
- Increases confidence in the clinician and treatment course